Monday, December 15, 2008

lame=our insurance

well, as expected, we got our letter today denying our first appeal to the insurance company for little m's surgery.

we knew it was coming, but it's still deflating and sucky. my favorite is that in the letter the medical reviewer states that we have not established medical necessity for cochlear implants. um, in my opinion we actually have, they just don't agree. 

so, now we head onto appeal #2 for most likely another denial. fun times. the thing that is frustrating is that if the person writing the denial letter had a deaf baby, you know that he would think implants were medically necessary.

(if you happen to read this blog and it is your opinion that m shouldn't have implants, or that she is too young for the surgery, you can pass on leaving me a comment telling me that. you're free to think it, but just can't take it today; thanks.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this disappointing news. Earlier this year, I attended an excellent seminar on cochlear implants, and the speaker gave some great tips on how to build the case for bilateral CIs to your insurance company. My notes are here:

    http://cochlearimplantonline.com/blog/?p=281

    Perhaps some of these suggestions might work for you. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to punch your insurance company in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we wrote our appeal, my husband allowed me to insert something that went like this..

    "I realise that you who are reading this, at this time, do not find it neccessary for my child to hear through technological ways. So before you continue to read this, remove your glasses, your contacts, and anything else technology has provided allowing you to use your sense. Because I believe once you have removed that which as assisted in your quality of living you may have more empathy and make a better decision on behalf of my son"

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! This is where you talk back to me. :) Easy peasy: write your comment, then scroll down where it says "comment as" to identify yourself (if you want to just write your name click Name/URL or just click anonymous. xoxoxoxo