Wednesday, February 22, 2012

love letters

(love for you)
dear sleep,
thanks to work deadlines, a teething toddler who prefers to snuggle with a parental human rather than her crib mattress, my inability to crawl into bed when i should, and a three year old who wakes up in the freaking FIVES (yes, my friends, as in the 5 AM range), i can never get enough of you. is a week of a full night of sleep too much to ask? apparently.
xo,
sleepless in oakland

dear blog,
i think i should rename you: the story of my well intentioned life, because well, my intentions and reality are always about 10 miles apart from each other. (do you need evidence aside from my slow down in posting a photo a day? please check out: my children's messy room, the pile of junk on top of my dresser, the folded clothes i have yet to put away, the website i have been meaning to do for at least 4 years, and my perpetually disastrous car interior...happy to provide more examples if you need them)
xo,
the more things change, the more they stay the same

dear studio,
you are so pretty. now i just need to figure out when i am going to find the extra hours in the day to actually use you.
xo,
all-freelance-and-no-fine-art-makes-me-a-little-crazypants

dearest daughter #1,
three and a half (or more accurately three quarters) years old is killing me. can't.handle.the.roller.coaster: one minute insane meltdown, the next adorable snuggly sweetness.
xo,
your mother who loves you no matter what mood you are in, but for the love...a mellow day or two wouldn't hurt

dearest daughter #2,
sweet girl, don't worry, i get it: you are strong willed, feisty, and independent. no need to prove it every single day. also, see my sleep letter; someday you will long to sleep in - it would be just fine with me if you experimented with sleeping a teensy bit longer now and then. or every day.
xo,
tired mama

dear bay area drivers,
you drive me crazy.
especially on 880.
xo,
someday i will not talk out loud to other drivers as i drive

dear tv executives,
new girl- hilarious. at first, not so much. now, yes.
parenthood- makes me cry every week & is such a beautiful little show (please don't get cancelled)
modern family- yup, still funny.
did i mention how amazing parenthood is? really a gem.
once upon a time-sort of ridiculous, but i love it.
xo,
way too many freelance deadlines=a lot of late night tv viewing

dear taxes,
i know, i know, i need to get my crap together. i just really really hate doing our taxes. (and by "doing" i mean collating all of our records for someone else to do the actual taxes.) money, schmoney.
xo,
let's just barter and trade glitter and unicorns

dear house,
where do i start? i'm sorry i neglect you dishes, laundry, and basically all surfaces. oh closets, i'm really sorry- you really take the hit the most. (although let me tell you that since my younger days my closets have improved by about 678 billion %)
xo,
someday my home will look like it came off of a pinterest organization inspiration board or out of real simple, but i'll be 89

dear readers,
i'm so tired tonight - maybe you can tell since this post ended up not being that funny. oh well.
happy mid-week!
xo,
me

(ps any letters you need to write? feel free to up the comedy level of this post in the comments section)

19 comments:

  1. i think you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of mine likes to wake in the fives too.
    The 880 is hell.
    Three year old girl is also a version of hell.
    I love Parenthood so much it hurts sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did this week KILL you? i think i cried through the entire episode.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha. I thought this was funny. Two things: My house is so neglected it is scary. Two: You are making me want to give New Girl a second chance although nothing could be as funny as modern family. Last night--I laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear susannah,
    love your post!!!
    love,
    kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kim, you officially gave me my first letter of the week that was no junk mail. for reals. so what if it is virtual and not in my mailbox??

      Delete
  5. What're you talking about? This post was hilarious -- and, as always, authentic.

    Dear Me-In-College, I know I haven't carried out all of our Big Plans. I hope you're not too disappointed in me. There were some Big Plans that I just had to set aside, and some others that I took a stab at and, well, not so good. But I did pull a few of them off. And betcha didn't think we'd be such a kick-a** mother, did you? Not that it's easy, mind you. And oh, big surprise, you end up having a deaf kid. But don't worry -- it's okay. It's more than okay. So don't fret -- you have some great things to look forward to.
    XO Me at 40.
    p.s. We like olives now; who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. julia! a. i love your letter. b. i've been meaning to write a post to my college self or 21 yr old self. thanks for reminding me! c. i like olives now too! and avocados.

      Delete
  6. dearest son #1,
    three and a (almost)half (okay a quarter) years old is killing me. can't.handle.the.roller.coaster: one minute insane meltdown, the next adorable snuggly sweetness.
    xo,
    your mother who loves you no matter what mood you are in, but for the love...a mellow day or two wouldn't hurt

    three has taken us by storm. for reals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry jaime. you have a long, 3/4 of a year ahead of you. no lie.

      Delete
  7. you and your post are awesome sauce.
    the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I am also a HUGE fan of Parenthood! I can't wait until next week to see what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sooz, thank you for writing and being honest about life, in all of its craziness and messiness. One day things will be organized and kids will be more mellow. Today is not that day. Until that day comes, good coffee, fun tv shows, amazing sunny weather in the winter, silly entertainment magazines, and hugs from your kiddos and husband will hopefully get you through. There is also wine. xoxo, love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dear sarah,

      maybe amy is right- you really are the best marsh sister.

      amen on the wine. ;)

      (fun to see you the other day!)

      Delete
  10. dear good but hard blogspot,
    sorry i've been so tardy in reading and replying. i've been having my own mental mommy breakdown. but i'm back. i've missed you. ps you know i'm terrible with letters...for example i owe you 10 birthday cards so this online posting is my new saving grace. love you little letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true. i should count my blessings that you've ever commented, since we all know your track record with cards.

      ps. you can do it! (be a mom that is; besides, what other choice do we have?)

      Delete

Hi friends! This is where you talk back to me. :) Easy peasy: write your comment, then scroll down where it says "comment as" to identify yourself (if you want to just write your name click Name/URL or just click anonymous. xoxoxoxo