Monday, February 13, 2012

sometimes there are no words

the mom that i wrote about on friday, 
whose two kids go to m's preschool co-op in oakland, 
passed away early saturday morning.

this afternoon m has had a lot of questions about sickness, bodies, dying and doctors.
she doesn't understand, 
so she keeps asking the same questions over & over again.
i hardly have words,
so all i can think of are these two small children, who have lost their mom,
and how very inadequate any answers must be for them. 

i happened to read this article today, about life's frailty.
it's worth a read.

3 comments:

  1. That's sad :( I hope those kiddos get some support as they grow up from family around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight, a man whose wife is dying, said "I appreciate your willingness to sit quietly and listen...to not try and explain what is unexplicable...there are no words." and then I come home and my kid asks about the life, death, and memorial service for a family friend. The task of keeping words in one hand and quiet in the other. My thoughts and prayers go out for the family at m's school...and families like yours who will embrace them. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my #3 biggest fear. Realizing that I'm on my way out, and knowing that I won't see Ben grow up. (#2 and #1 have to do with Neil and Ben.) The moment Ben was born, I realized I'd brought into my life a lot of joy, and a whole new reason to be afraid. You can't have one without the other, it seems. Pessimist says: Yeah, all these things in my life are wonderful, but what if I lose them? Optimist says: There's the potential for great loss, but there's the reality of great joy. My condolences to the family, and I hope they get the support they need during this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! This is where you talk back to me. :) Easy peasy: write your comment, then scroll down where it says "comment as" to identify yourself (if you want to just write your name click Name/URL or just click anonymous. xoxoxoxo